The choice to start counselling requires courage, but in addition to finding someone who you can talk to and trust, it is vitally important to seek someone who is well trained.
I trained at Westminster Pastoral Foundation (WPF Therapy) in London. WPF Therapy is one of the leading training institutions in the UK with a reputation for clinical and academic excellence, as well as placing great emphasis on continuous personal psychotherapy. It is accredited by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP).
- UKCP Registered Psychotherapist.
- Advanced Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Studies from Roehampton University.
- In addition to this initial four year training which qualified me to see clients once a week, I undertook a further professional two years training at WPF enabling me to work more frequently with clients if needed; I am now qualified to work twice-weekly.
I have also completed additional training at the Institute of Group Analysis and in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
The UKCP (UK Council for Psychotherapy) and BPC (British Psychoanalytic Council),with whom I am registered, have strict ethical codes and professional standards of confidentiality and practice to which I subscribe.
I am also a member of WPF’s graduate organization, the Foundation of Psychotherapy and Counselling (FPC).
Over the last ten years I have worked in a variety of therapeutic settings and as well as working for a counselling charity and in private practice, I have also worked as:
- a bereavement counsellor for a local Hospice.
- a psychotherapist in the NHS Secondary Care Psychological Therapy Services.
- a school counsellor in a primary and secondary school.
In my previous life before training as a psychotherapist and counsellor, I worked in the City of London as a solicitor in some leading law firms and so have first hand experience of the pressures and demands that can affect those working in this type of environment.